Before I dig into the good stuff, do you know what role your kidneys actually play and why they keeping them in tip top shape is so crucial to your overall health and well-being?
They’re kind of a big deal...
Kidneys are excretory organs, which help to eliminate waste and toxins from your body.
So yes, they matter, big time!
Your kidneys play several significant roles within the body, including:
- Remove waste and excess water in the blood
- Control blood pressure
- Produce hormones
- Assist in producing red blood cells
- Help to maintain bone strength
According to Chinese medicine, your kidneys also hold your life energy, or qi.
I’m going to get a little personal here and share my own personal struggle with you. You see, I have experienced firsthand what it’s like growing up with a kidney disease.
When I was a toddler, I was diagnosed with nephrotic syndrome. I was tired all the time and experienced extreme water retention, where my body was severely bloated and holding onto waste. Not good.
I was so chronically ill at times that I would have to be hospitalized. I was on multiple medications with negative side effects, such as headaches, inability to focus, acne, weight gain, depression, joint pain, etc. I felt so alone, stuck and depressed in my sick state. It wasn’t until I reached my early 20’s that I realized I didn’t want to live like that anymore. I knew I had to make a positive change.
And I did!
I started researching about how clean, healthy food could activate your body’s natural healing abilities. Being aware of what you put in your body can help you regain control of your health and life.
Once I implemented a more nourishing and nutritious lifestyle catered to the needs of my body, the symptoms diminished and I feel revived! The disease is now in remission and I am no longer dependent on any medications!
Here are 4 ways to detox your kidneys and provide a better environment for your body to do it’s job efficiently.
- Eat cleansing, detoxing foods such as: cilantro, parsley, watercress, fennel, berries (cranberries, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, etc.), cherries, cabbage and garlic. Make a delicious juice or green smoothie with berries as a natural sweetener. It’s a great way to jump-start your detox in the morning.
- Drink filtered, plain water. Drink half your weight in ounces in pure water each day. This facilitates removal of waste in your kidneys, so it can be turned into urine and be excreted out of your body. If you consume caffeine or soda, you must drink more water since those substances dehydrate the body. If you’re not a fan of plain water, you can squeeze a slice of lemon to give your water a little kick. Or add herbs, cucumber or berries!
- Take Epsom salt baths. Epsom salt baths are amazing! They are both relaxing and detoxifying. Detox bath recipe: 1 cup epsom salt + 1 cup baking soda + 10 drops of lavender or fennel essential oils (optional). The magnesium sulfate pulls out toxins and the baking soda neutralizes the pH of the waste.
- Implement a meditation practice. Chronic stress can have adverse effects on the kidneys. The kidneys can reabsorb excess fluids and salts after a stressful episode and like so many ailments and diseases, chronic stress can also result in kidney disease. Having some type of daily routine to relieve stress helps to maintain the longevity of your kidneys and also increases the qi stored within the organ.
Your kidneys are true gemstones. When you nourish and take care of your body, it will take care of you in return.
- See more at: http://fitlife.tv/4-ways-to-detox-your-kidneys_original/#sthash.d71NEmQ0.dpuf